Thursday, August 7, 2014

SOLVED! [Android] Skype cannot be signed in at this time. Please check your mobile network settings

Skype works so well on Android that I have taken it for granted--until it suddenly began giving me the message, "You cannot be signed in at this time. Please check your mobile network settings."

I was using T-mobile (during a trip home), and tried everything. The phone had 2 bars (as good as  ever get with T-immobile) and had no problem getting on the internet or checking email. I could get into my Skype account on another Samsung Galaxy Note phone and on my PC, so it wasn't my Skype account's problem. I rebooted my Samsung Galaxy Note but that didn't help. I cleared the Skype program's Cache and Data files and rebooted. Still nothing.

Finally, I discovered on Google Play that there was a newer version of Skype, which I promptly downloaded. Problem solved!   As it turns out, the phone had installed an Android update, which was not compatible with the older version of Skype.

So if you find you cannot connect to Skype, try these steps:
1. Make sure your phone can connect to the internet (Yes, that is a no-brainer, but I've had the internet go down before and not realize that was the problem, especially in China, where I spend most of my time.
2. Clear Skype's cache and data files (Click Settings, click Applications, click Skype, click Clear Data, click Clear Cache) and reboot.
3. If the above fails, go to Google Play to insure you have the latest Skype version.


Happy Skyping!

Dr  Bill Brown

Bill's 2 eBooks on Amazon:
"Fujian Adventure"

30 comments:

wittleus said...

Thanks a lot, had the same program, had to download the updates. Funny they didn't download automatically.
On my PC, used Skype this morning, and when I used it this evening it updated, but the android phone did not update automatically.

Amoy Bill said...

Glad it helped. I've slowly realized that most of us face similar issues, so I've decided to just shared problems and fixes when I face them, lest others waste hours and days like I do.

Manoooooooj said...

Thanks a lot..I faced similar problem..First tried with cache clearing..that didn't work. After updating skype, it started working fine.

Thanks,
Manoj

Anonymous said...

Thanks! Had the same problem and did not think of updating the skype app.

Anonymous said...

xie xie +1 - skype turned evil when it became microsoft. why don't they TELL us by email or by an informative error message that we need to update?

wasted a good half-a-day on this.

but now working, version 4.7xxx

Alex Gold said...

Thanks sorted,just follow instructions, and it works !! Read more info:-
Skype Support and Call +1-800-231-4635 USA (Toll Free).

Alex Gold said...

I like the hеlpful information you proѵide in your artіcles. I ωill bookmаrk your blog and check аgain here fгequеntly. !! Read more info:- Skype Support and Call +1-800-231-4635 USA (Toll Free).

Anonymous said...

THE NEW SKYPE SUCKS! NO SOUND OTIFICATION

John Quiambao said...

Thank man! it really helps me.. i just need an update. its my first time to use skype in my cellphone.. thanks again.

Avishek Saha said...

i tried but it doesn't work. pls help me

monamomeni said...

Oh this is great! Thank you! I had the same problem, clearing cache and data didn't work but after updating it worked like a charm :)

I am deeply grateful!

Katroushka said...

Brilliant! Thank you for saving me a lot of wasted time and frustration.

Hektor said...

Thank you very much.

Abunayem mukul said...

What should i do,if there is no new update of skype in play store....
I am facing this type of problem too

Anonymous said...

I also have this problem. I find that I have to regularly uninstall and reinstall Skype even though no new version is available. It seems that I now need to uninstall and reinstall almost every time before using Skype on my phone, which means that I'm often unavailable to callers until I realize that I need to reinstall.

sufian88 said...

I needed to downgrade my Skype (to 5.0.0.51733) as suggested at Skype community here.

Syed Ahmed said...

i tried all of these steps but it still not going to logged in. Help please!

Piyush Siddharth said...

i would like to recommend the best place to learn chinese by skype! http://preply.com/en/chinese-by-skype
its really effective!

alex said...

I like the helρful іnfο you ρrovide to уour аrticles. I will bookmаrκ yοur blog and tеѕt again here гegulаrly. visit more info Skype Help and Call +1-800-231-4635 USA (Toll Free).

pak china mobile said...

Much obliged a lot..I confronted comparable problem..First attempted with reserve clearing..that didn't work. In the wake of redesigning skype, it began working fine.

desert safari dubai said...

very nice your service.

dubai desert safari said...

Thanks for sharing this information with us.

Anonymous said...

Installed new android update. Now skype logs out and I have to force stop to get it going again. Then it shows as not connected after a short while. Then I have to force stop again. . Tried uninstalling but no change.

Tandydini said...

Even a monkey could have solved it by upgrading. :) but what if i wanna use the old version?

Bob said...

worked! thank you!

Vanessa Caja said...

This worked great!!!! Thanks so much

Lexy said...

Thanks very much! It's 3 years later and the exact same thing still happens

Click Here said...

Hi like your post. thanks for the sharing.

Desert safari said...

I am impressed by your post. It contains very informative data and i gain a lot information from it. It is very useful for me. Thanks for sharing and keep on

Evening Desert Safari said...

It's Amazing post really Its a great pleasure reading your post.Its full of information I am looking for and I love to post a comment that "The content of your post is awesome" Good Work